21 to 22 February 2017, Celtic Manor, South Wales
The Office for National Statistics were pleased to host their inaugural Economic Statistics conference, in Newport on 21-22 February. This exciting event brought together leading academics, economists, statisticians and economic commentators to debate developments surrounding economic statistics and measuring the modern economy. Over two days experts presented the latest developments within statistics, economics and data science. This included; exploring financial and digital services, using administrative, big and innovative data, and the productivity puzzle together with a number of other topics.
This conference gave delegates a unique opportunity to explore issues surrounding the measurement of the modern economy, and influence the direction of development for official Economic Statistics.
ONS also presented the research agenda of the new Economic Statistics Centre of Excellence (ESCoE). ESCoE is an independent research centre, sponsored by ONS, to deliver innovative and world-class economic analysis and research to extend the provision and quality of the UK's economic statistics. The centre brings together a number of leading academic and think tank institutions to work in partnership with the ONS, including the new data science campus. Their website is due to go live in March.
Running over 2 days the programme provided an exciting mix of keynote talks and panel sessions. There was ample opportunity for sharing information and networking during refreshment breaks.
A full conference will be made available here by Friday 10 March.
Podcasts and recorded live feeds
Our ESCoE partners at NIESR have produced an insightful podcast of ‘Behind the Scenes at the Economic Statistics Conference’.
The venue for the conference was The Golf Club, Celtic Manor, Newport, South Wales.
Efallai y bydd hefyd gennych ddiddordeb yn:
- Slides from day 1: Welcome and setting the economic statisitics agenda
- Slides from day 1: Modern economic statistics in a policy environment
- Slides from day 1: Economic statistics transformation
- Slides from day 1: Handling the modern economy
- Slides from day 1: VAT
- Slides from day 1: Productivity
- Slides from day 1: Trade
- Slides from day 2: Globalisation - do we need a paradigm shift in official statistics
- Slides from day 2: Helping to deliver the devolution revolution
- Slides from day 2: Economic Statistics Centre of Excellence (ESCoE) and data campus
- Slides from day 2: Harnessing the power of data science through research
- International Economic Statistics Conference Agenda (41.0 kB xls)